[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]
April 19, 2019
Calling All Novice and Experienced Anglers - Fishing Opportunities Abound in Oswego County's Pristine Waters
OSWEGO COUNTY - Few areas can match the quality and diversity of fishing found in Oswego County. Anglers the world over make the pilgrimage to these pristine waters with the hope of landing the next record-breaking catch.
"Oswego County is known for its superior fishery," said David Turner, director of the Oswego County Community Development, Tourism and Planning Department. "Abundant in natural resources, it has more than 100 lakes, ponds, rivers and streams and the largest shoreline along Lake Ontario than any other county in New York. This, combined with a wide variety of fish species and year-round fishing opportunities, makes Oswego County a premier fishing destination."
More than a dozen fishing derbies, tournaments and challenges throughout the year add to the excitement of fishing in Oswego County. Get your tackle ready to join in one of this season's fun events:
- Lake Ontario Counties (LOC) Trout and Salmon Spring Derby: Friday, May 10 to Sunday, May 19; 7 a.m. start. Entry is $40 for adults and $20 for youth aged 10 to 15 years. For registration and details, visit www.loc.org, call 315-333-5213, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- i1baits Oneida Lake Open Walleye Tournament: Friday, May 31 and Saturday, June 1; 5 a.m. start. Entry is $40 for Big Fish Friday and $325 for Main Event Saturday: For registration and details, call 315-575-1743 or visit https://i1baits.com/pages/2017-i1-baits-open-walleye-tournament.
- A-TOM-MIK Challenge: Saturday, June 22; runs 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Lake Ontario. Entry is $100. For registration and details, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.theatommikchallenge.com.
- Lake Ontario Counties (LOC) Trout and Salmon Summer Derby: Saturday, June 29 to Sunday, July 28; 7 a.m. start. Entry is $40 for adults and $20 for youth aged 10 to 15 years. For registration and details, visit www.loc.org, call 315-333-5213, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- K&G Lodge All Women's Fishing Tournament: Saturday, July 6; runs from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Lake Ontario. Entry is $300 per boat. For registration and details, call 315-343-8171 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Bridge House Brats Kids' Fishing Derby: Friday, July 12; runs 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. on the Oswego River in Phoenix. Entry is free. For registration and details, visit www.bridgehousebrats.com.
- Kevin Davis Memorial Oswego Pro-Am Tournament: Saturday, July 13 and Sunday, July 14 on Lake Ontario. For entry, registration and details, visit https://www.facebook.com/Oswego-Pro-Am-546142425425498/ or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A-TOM-MIK Invitational: Saturday, Aug. 10 on Lake Ontario. Entry is $800. For registration and details, e-mail email@example.com.
- Lake Ontario Counties (LOC) Trout and Salmon Fall Derby: Friday, Aug. 16 to Monday, Sept. 2; 7 a.m. start. Entry is $40 for adults and $20 for youth aged 10 to 15 years. For registration and details, visit www.loc.org, call 315-333-5213, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Turner added, "Derbies are a great way to promote Oswego County. They provide an opportunity for people to explore the area and experience all we have to offer, making them more likely to plan a return visit."
Visitors and residents alike enjoy trolling the lake waters of Oneida or Ontario or fly-fishing along the famed Salmon and Oswego rivers. To further encourage and promote the sport, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation offers free fishing days throughout the year. On these designated days, anyone can experience the joy of fishing without a license. All other fishing regulations remain in place.
Upcoming free fishing days include:
- Saturday and Sunday, June 29 and 30
- Saturday, Sept. 28
- Monday, Nov. 11
Free fishing days help to introduce the sport to those who have not yet experienced the thrill of the catch and provides a day of family fun on the water.
Adults and youth interesting learning about a different style of fishing are invited to Spey Nation 2019 at the Pineville Boat Launch on Sheepskin Road from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, June 22. The day-long event features speakers, demonstrations, vendors, food and raffles that support and promote the art of spey casting and the culture of spey fishing. For admission and details, visit www.speynation.com.
For more information about these or upcoming events in Oswego County, call the Oswego County Tourism Office at 1-800-596-3200 ext. 8322 or go to visitoswegocounty.com.
TOURNAMENT HONORS LATE FISHING GUIDE - Organizers have re-named the Oswego County Pro-Am Salmon and Trout Team Tournament to honor the late local fishing guide Capt. Kevin S. Davis. Pictured is Davis in 2009 with members of Team T-K when they won the Pro division of the Oswego County Pro-Am Tournament. From left are Tom Pultorak, Kevin Davis, Capt. Bob Pultorak, Mike Kuzmiak, and Richard Davis. Dave Turner, director of the Oswego County Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning, is in the background announcing the winning teams. This year's Kevin Davis Memorial Oswego Pro-Am Tournament will be Saturday and Sunday, July 13 and 14 in Oswego County. (Oswego County Tourism photo.)
Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?